Although Phoenix’s winters are typically mild, there will be some days where you will want to protect your patio furniture from the inevitable frost or inclement weather conditions. These maintenance and cleaning tips will allow you to preserve your patio furniture and ensure that you can enjoy it for many seasons to come.
Here's how you can protect your patio furniture this winter:
Clean Your Patio Furniture Before You Store It
Before you put your patio furniture away, the best thing you can do is clean it thoroughly in order to remove any dirt or dust that has collected on it. The type of patio furniture that you have and the material that it is made with will impact your cleaning plan.
These cleaning tips will help you remove stains and wash away any lingering dirt from all types of patio furniture:
- Wicker Furniture — Wicker is a type of HDPE material, and it is an ideal option for outdoor patio furniture. To clean wicker furniture, use a mixture of soap and warm water to wipe away any dirt or clear up any stains on the furniture. Make sure it is dried thoroughly before you cover it or store it.
- Wood Furniture — Wood patio furniture should be sealed to protect it from moisture damage, but you will want to be careful not to use too much water when cleaning wood furniture. Excessive moisture can lead to rot, which can compromise the durability of the furniture. Want that natural wood look combined with less maintenance? Consider Paddy O’s Patriot Collection, comprised of Ecolumber, a high-quality wood alternative made from recycled plastic. Adirondack chairs are another great option to get you the look you love with minimal maintenance.
- Composite Furniture — Composite furniture is very easy to clean, as this synthetic material can simply be wiped with a wet rag and soapy water. However, if not cleaned regularly, composite furniture can stain. You will want to cover composite furniture for the winter season.
- Metal Furniture — Metal furniture usually requires the least amount of cleaning, because the dark color of metal is forgiving and dirt rarely clings to it. A quick wipe-down will usually suffice before you cover metal furniture for the season. You will want to protect it, however, because the cold weather and exposure to moisture could result in rusting.
- Stone Furniture — Stone furniture also should be wiped down before it is protected and stored for the winter, as this is the best way to keep it looking bright and fresh season after season. Similar to stone, Dekton surfaces are among the easiest to maintain. Simply apply a little soap and warm water on a regular basis and your surface will maintain its beauty and shine for years to come.
In addition, you also may have to clean and protect any cushions that you use with your patio furniture. Most cushions have to be hand-washed in order to maintain their shape and integrity of the cushion. While any type of material can be cleaned with warm water and gentle soap, our exclusive Bliss Cushions are incredibly dustproof, stain-resistant and UV protected, making them the top choice for those looking for a long-lasting and worry-free patio cushion option.
Store Cushions Separately From Your Furniture
Cloth cushions often need to be removed from your patio furniture and stored in a climate-controlled, indoor environment for the duration of the winter. Even the minimal exposure to moisture that can occur underneath a cover can result in mold, mildew or stains that cannot be removed. Not to mention, the cold temperature can break down the fabric of the cushions. However, if you’ve invested in our Bliss Cushion, this will not be the case. Our revolutionary fabric is waterproof, stain and mildew-resistant, therefore, the entire cushion is protected from the elements.
Purchase Furniture Covers for Extra Protection
One of the best ways to preserve your outdoor furniture is to purchase furniture covers that you can place over each piece for the winter. Depending on where you live, you can put furniture covers over your patio furniture and leave your furniture outdoors all season. However, you also may want to purchase furniture covers that you will use even if you store your furniture in a shed, garage or indoor storage facility.
Some furniture covers to consider include:
- Table Covers — Table covers are available in a variety of shapes and dimensions, allowing you to find a cover that fits snugly and securely over your outdoor dining table.
- Chair Covers — Chair covers should fit over the entirety of the chair — including the back, seat and legs. It should cinch tight along the bottom to prevent moisture from getting onto the chair itself. Chair covers are available in many different shapes and sizes, allowing you to find the covers that best fit your furniture pieces.
- Umbrella Covers — If you have a patio umbrella, whether it's a table umbrella or a freestanding umbrella, it should be closed and stored for the season. You can purchase an umbrella cover that will fit tightly over the closed umbrella and protect the fabric of the umbrella from the elements throughout the cold, wet winter season.
In some cases, specialty furniture covers will be sized for the specific furniture pieces that you purchase. There also are larger covers that can go over multiple items, such as two chairs stacked together (our Mission sling chairs are perfect for this) or an entire table and chairs set.
Your patio furniture is an investment — not only in your home but also in your quality of life. Most people take the time to purchase high-quality furniture that they know will be comfortable, enjoyable and durable. That being said, it can be a lot of work each year to protect, preserve and store your patio furniture. It's important to recognize that you do have options that can help reduce the amount of time that you spend cleaning and storing your patio furniture.
Here's one alternative to cleaning and storing patio furniture each year:
Invest in the Bliss Cushion from Paddy O'Furniture
Bliss Cushions are exclusive to Paddy O’, created with UV-protected fabric. All Bliss Cushions are completely weather resistant, meaning that you do not have to store them for the winter season. This allows you to simply put a furniture cover over your furniture and easily remove it when you want to use the furniture. This is ideal, particularly for those surprisingly warm winter days when you can enjoy the beauty of your yard.
Paddy O' Furniture has been serving commercial and residential clients in Arizona and Nashville for many years, providing all customers with honest, reliable information about our top-of-the-line furniture. We feature an array of innovative furniture products that allow you to enjoy the pieces that you love, regardless of the weather conditions outside.For more information about extending the lifespan of your patio furniture, contact Paddy O' Furniture today.